Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Education expense credit

My daughter started college 8/2018. We have been getting a 1098-T every year except for 2022 year. She graduated 6/2022. I was told that the reason why was they include the charges on 2021 1098-T. However, the payments were made in 2022. Can I apply for the credit for 2022 based on the qualified tuition credits I paid in 2022 which are above the max. of $4000 which can be recorded. Of course, if you removed the 2022 payments from 2021 1098-T there was still way more than enough qualified tuition expenses to use for the 2021 credit. Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Education expense credit

Yes, payment in 2022 counts. The AOTC is only good for 4 years, you may no longer qualify for AOTC. You may qualify for Lifetime Learning Credit which is limited to tuition only and 20% of the expenditure to $10,000.

For full details, see Education Credits: Questions and Answers. This includes Q19 and education credit allowed without the 1098-T.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Education expense credit

Thanks! that was very helpful.  While I was doing the calculations on Turbo tax I believe it said I received the credit only 3 times previously but I will go back and confirm it. Otherwise I will use the LLC

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies