Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

halbany3

Do these required nursing program expenses qualify for the AOTC: physical exam, background check, malpractice insurance, drug screen, CPR certification, ID badge.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Do these required nursing program expenses qualify for the AOTC: physical exam, background check, malpractice insurance, drug screen, CPR certification, ID badge.

Any fees or expenses which are required for enrollment or attendance at the school are qualified education expenses and can be used to claim the American Opportunity Tax credit.

Please read this IRS document:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/qualified-ed-expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Any fees or expenses which are required for enrollment or attendance at the school are qualified education expenses and can be used to claim the American Opportunity Tax credit.

Please read this IRS document:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/qualified-ed-expenses

MinhT
Expert Alumni

As I explained above, all your program expenses count as qualified education expenses for the AOTC because they were required for enrollment or attendance at your school. If you need more information, please comment.
halbany3

The program also requires that I have regular health insurance, however, it is my understanding that regular health insurance is not a covered expense. Is that accurate?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Health insurance cannot be counted as education expenses.
halbany3

So when you write, “Any fees or expenses which are required for enrollment or attendance at the school are qualified education expenses“, that blanket statement is not accurate because health insurance is a required expense. Will you please review my initial list of expenses and tell me if I can deduct them?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

All the expenses you listed except for malpractice insurance qualify. Please see the paragraph on Expenses that Do Not Qualify in the IRS document I listed in the main answer.
halbany3

Will you please direct me to where the irs states that malpractice insurance is not deductible for the AOTC? Malpractice insurance is not mentioned in the irs link you shared.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Insurance in general is excluded.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies