turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file taxes / can I if I had no income in 2019? (I'm currently a full-time PA student and am not allowed to work while I'm in school)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Do I need to file taxes / can I if I had no income in 2019? (I'm currently a full-time PA student and am not allowed to work while I'm in school)

No, you do not need to file a tax return. 

If you have income that is less than the Standard Deduction for 2019 you are not required to file a return.  The amount of the Standard Deduction is based on your filing status,

The Standard Deduction for 2019 is

Single $12,200

Head of Household $18,350

Married Filing Joint $24,400

Married Filing Separate $12,200

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to file a tax return. 

If you have income that is less than the Standard Deduction for 2019 you are not required to file a return.  The amount of the Standard Deduction is based on your filing status,

The Standard Deduction for 2019 is

Single $12,200

Head of Household $18,350

Married Filing Joint $24,400

Married Filing Separate $12,200

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

You are not required to file a tax return.  If you have no income, there is usually no benefit in doing so.  There are  rare exceptions.  

If you are a student, over age 23, and are not claimed as a dependent by someone else (e.g. your parent) you may be eligible for the up to $1000 refundable American Opportunity (tuition) Credit. That credit is not dependent on having either kids or earned income. You must be at least a half time undergraduate student and actually paid tuition (not just had it paid by grants). Tuition paid by loans counts as paid by you (since you have to pay that back, someday).

If you have scholarships and grants (not loans) that exceed your qualified expenses, by more than $12,200, you may owe tax on the excess.

thank you!!! 

Carl
Level 15

I'm currently a full-time PA student and am not allowed to work while I'm in school

Just a wild guess here. But it sounds to me like you are a foreign student, since you state you're not "allowed to work" while in school. Therefore you have no need, reason or requirement to file a U.S. tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies