Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need 1098T to file my taxes?

The university did not give me the 1098T form. Do I need to do my taxes?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Do I need 1098T to file my taxes?

A. Simple answer: no.

But, maybe.  Are you the student or the parent of a student-dependent?

The 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are either eligible for a tuition credit or deduction or possibly your student has taxable scholarship income. 

If you claim the tuition credit, you do need to report that you got one or that you qualify for an exception (the TurboTax interview will handle this)

You claim the tuition credit, or report scholarship income, based on your own financial records, not the 1098-T. 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No, but it would be helpful to have one. You can file an extension and request it from your school. You can still go to the Education Credit section and enter your information.

Hal_Al
Level 15

If you don't have 1098-T and you can't get one from you on-line account school usually means the school wasn't required to issue one. And that usually means you qualify for an exception and you do not need a 1098-T to enter your tuition and other expenses in TurboTax.  

But, it also, frequently, means your tuition was covered by grants and you don't qualify for a credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies