Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i have to file my 1098-t form?

i'm not sure if I have to file my 1098-T form or not? I saw someone reply to a similar question here in the community that you have to file it but on other sites I seen that you have to file it? Also, why does filing it significantly reduce both my State and Federal? For example, It changes my federal from $567 refund to a $580 payment?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It depends.

If you're claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, then you cannot use it to claim an education credit.

However, if you are seeing your numbers after entering it go from a refund to a payment due, did you have scholarships that exceeded your Qualified Tuition Expenses (Tuition, Required books, and fees)?  If so, you DO have to enter the 1098-T on your tax return.  Any portion of a scholarship not used for Qualified Tuition Expenses is taxable. Any part of a scholarship used for room and board is taxable. This would possibly explain the changes in your refund. 

If you have Qualified Education Expenses that were more than the Scholarships, then it would not be taxable and would not need to be entered. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It depends.

If you're claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, then you cannot use it to claim an education credit.

However, if you are seeing your numbers after entering it go from a refund to a payment due, did you have scholarships that exceeded your Qualified Tuition Expenses (Tuition, Required books, and fees)?  If so, you DO have to enter the 1098-T on your tax return.  Any portion of a scholarship not used for Qualified Tuition Expenses is taxable. Any part of a scholarship used for room and board is taxable. This would possibly explain the changes in your refund. 

If you have Qualified Education Expenses that were more than the Scholarships, then it would not be taxable and would not need to be entered. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies