AlanaS

Do I as the student and non-dependent report the non- qualified expenses of my 1098-T as income?

I'm 19, but my parents can't really claim me and will not be paying taxes either way. I am just trying to understand if it's right if I put the amount of income($8,600 for room and board) and then not be eligible to claim anything since technically all of my scholarship(~27,000) was used to pay for tuition. Clarification would be nice because as it sits, I lost my refund I thought I was getting and now owe my state(MI) tax. 

MichaelL1

You are doing it correctly and it is income to you.  Sorry about this, but great you are getting the nice scholarships.

AlanaS

Oh, I earned around $5500(withholding was 0) with my jobs and that pushed me up to around $14,000 so the standard deduction of 12,000 didn't really apply anymore.
MichaelL1

The standard deduction is still helping as otherwise your taxable income would be much higher.
MichaelL1