turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AlanaS

Do I as the student and non-dependent report the non- qualified expenses of my 1098-T as income?

I'm 19, but my parents can't really claim me and will not be paying taxes either way. I am just trying to understand if it's right if I put the amount of income($8,600 for room and board) and then not be eligible to claim anything since technically all of my scholarship(~27,000) was used to pay for tuition. Clarification would be nice because as it sits, I lost my refund I thought I was getting and now owe my state(MI) tax. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I as the student and non-dependent report the non- qualified expenses of my 1098-T as income?

You are doing it correctly and it is income to you.  Sorry about this, but great you are getting the nice scholarships.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlanaS

Oh, I earned around $5500(withholding was 0) with my jobs and that pushed me up to around $14,000 so the standard deduction of 12,000 didn't really apply anymore.

The standard deduction is still helping as otherwise your taxable income would be much higher.

You are doing it correctly and it is income to you.  Sorry about this, but great you are getting the nice scholarships.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies