Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Definition of "student" and the 5-month requirement, with respect to claiming a student as a dependant

Suppose I am a parent of a 22 year old full time college student and hope to be able to claim my child as a dependent.  I understand there is an IRS requirement that the child be a "full time" student for any part of at least 5 calendar months during the tax year.  My question relates to the 5 calendar months.  Suppose the student attended classes in Jan, Feb, Mar, and the final class was on April 29, and the college graduation ceremony on campus occurred on May 4. No further classes were attended after that. 

Question: Did the student meet the 5 month requirement or not?  Seems to depend on whether the person is considered to still be a student between the day of the final class and the graduation date.  I haven't been able to find clear guidance on that from IRS.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Definition of "student" and the 5-month requirement, with respect to claiming a student as a dependant

Q.  Did the student meet the 5 month requirement or not?  

A. Yes. The graduation ceremony counts as being an "active" student in May. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The student was enrolled through graduation so qualifies. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Did the student meet the 5 month requirement or not?  

A. Yes. The graduation ceremony counts as being an "active" student in May. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies