Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MNYL
Level 3

Coverdell Earnings - withhold taxes

Hi Experts,

I had a distribution from the Coverdell account due to excess in contribution in 2021.  I was told by the brokerage company that they couldn't withhold federal and state taxes on the earnings for Coverdell accounts.   They couldn't explain why.  Any idea?

Thank you very much for the assistance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

There's no place on IRS form 1099-Q to report withholding.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099q.pdf

MNYL
Level 3

Thank you!  So on my 2022 tax return, I would need to pay federal and state taxes for the earnings shown on 1099Q, correct?  For the earnings, would I need to report on my 2021 tax return so I won't need to amend when I do taxes in 2022?

Thank you so much!

MNYL
Level 3

Kindly advise, any insight on this? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

I have no experience with excess ESA contributions.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The Coverdell is not like an IRA with the excess. Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education page 44 shows your options. If you are taking the interest earned before June 1, you will not have excise tax on that amount. If you reduce your 2022 contributions by the amount of overage, you will eliminate all overage and penalty. You only pay tax on the interest earned.

• TY 2022 entry- You will receive the 1099-Q in 2023 for TY 2022 with code 3 on the 1099-Q  for excess contributions plus earnings taxable in 2021. No amend is necessary due to the coding.
  • TY 2021 entry- If you want to enter it this year, you would enter a fake 1099-Q,  code 2, to show 2021 excess earnings and basis.

Since I like to keep all forms matching and straight forward, I would not enter the excess this year without a form. The form will come next year and match IRS records and will be entered on 1099-Q. It goes to your sch 1, line 8z.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies