Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ronpam48

Coverdale ED Acct 529

I received a 1099-Q from my 529 account set up for my grandson. I had the funds sent to my bank account and then I paid them to his college. Since this is reported as income to me, how do I offset that amount so I am not penalized.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Coverdale ED Acct 529

You do not need to report this as income if all of the funds from the 529 plan were used for your grandson's educational expenses.

Here is a link to a TurboTax article with more information about Form 1099-Q. See the paragraph under Calculating taxable amount that is about your question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Coverdale ED Acct 529

The 1099-Q is only an informational document.  It does not have to be reported on your tax return if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. 

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

But, there's a caveat.  If the parents are claiming a tuition credit, because the student is their dependent, they cannot claim the money from the 529 plan for the credit.  That would be double dipping.

But, since the tuition credit is more generous than the 529 plan exclusion, you should reduce the expenses you claim for the 529 exclusion to allow them to claim the credit.  You may have to pay a little tax  on the distribution, which means you will have to enter the 1099-Q.  Reply back for instructions, if needed.  The parents need $4000 of tuition to claim the maximum credit.

ronpam48

Coverdale ED Acct 529

Yes, Thanks so much for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies