Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nariman23

Cant e-file because my school doesnt have 1098T or EIN number. Need help!

I went to an international school that is on the list of federal loan programs (has OPE ID) but they do not provide 1098T. When I try to file I chose my school does not provide 1098T. However, towards the end, it won't let me file because I'm missing EIN for that school. I have tried inputting all 9s and 0s. Still cannot e-file it. 

Any workaround or solution to this? Any help is appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Cant e-file because my school doesnt have 1098T or EIN number. Need help!

This is tricky.  After some changes to the tax law to prevent fraud, you can't claim any educational benefits without a 1098-T.  The law has a weirdly worded exception, that you don't need a 1098-T "if the school is not required to file one."   However, as far as I can tell, simply being a foreign school is not listed as an exception that will allow you to claim a credit without a 1098-T.  There are some people who will tell you that you qualify for the credits anyway, but I haven't seen a taxpayer come back and post that they were successful in claiming the credit.

Turbotax enforces the "must have a 1098-T" rule for e-filing.  I believe you can print your return and file by mail.  You may want to attach a statement giving the name and address of school and explaining they are on the eligibility list but did not provide a 1098-T.  

@Hal_Al is there another way to file in this situation?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies