Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cebu888

Can the summer stipend income on 1099 MISC box 3 be used for a fall or spring educational expenses?

I report my child's 1098T on my return. He is my dependent. He got a stipend for a summer research program from his school and it was reported on a 1099MISC box 3. The stipend can be used for anything (no restrictions), although during the summer he didn't incur any tuition, fees, etc. Can I apply the stipend on his educational expenses for fall and spring? If so, how? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Can the summer stipend income on 1099 MISC box 3 be used for a fall or spring educational expenses?

No, his stipend is income to him. It needs to be reported on his tax return, and isn't part of yours. You, of course, can continue claiming the educational expenses on your return. See this link to Tax Topic 421. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

No, his stipend is income to him. It needs to be reported on his tax return, and isn't part of yours. You, of course, can continue claiming the educational expenses on your return. See this link to Tax Topic 421. 

cebu888

Thank you for the information.
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You are welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies