turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can somebody help me figure out where my stimulus check is e-file & was taken due to student loans the irs said they sent out my stimulus check on the 4/24

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Can somebody help me figure out where my stimulus check is e-file & was taken due to student loans the irs said they sent out my stimulus check on the 4/24

Are you saying that your regular tax refund was offset for student loans? If so, the good news is that the stimulus payment will not be offset for anything but back child support. 

The IRS sends the stimulus check to the address on your most recent tax return, unless you went here to change your address after e-filing your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Student loan payments are excluded from garnishment according to

https://www.familylawprotection.com/stimulus-checks-what-to-do-if-your-check-is-garnished/

which says the only legal reason for garnishing stimulus payments is for child support.

Based on that, you should check:

(a) Was the payment direct deposited?  If so, check with your bank.

(b) If not, what address was on your 2019 (or 2018 if you haven't filed yet for 2019) tax return?  That's where the paper check would be mailed.  Should that be an outdated address but you filed a USPS forwarding form when you moved, the check will either (slowly) forward to the new address or be returned to the IRS.  You can update the IRS with your current address by following one of the options on the IRS page

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies