Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my mom claim me if i worked and supported myself, did not attend a college, was 19 turning 20, and i made over $17,000.

i lived with her up until august 1st, but i supported myself while i lived with her. she wont change her taxes to not claim me, so what do i have to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Can my mom claim me if i worked and supported myself, did not attend a college, was 19 turning 20, and i made over $17,000.

No. She can't. Here are all of the requirements :

·        She provided more than half of your financial support. More info      FAIL!

·        You made less than $4,050 in gross income during 2017.      FAIL!

·        They live with her or they are related to her.                                                 

·        They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident. 

·        They aren't (or won't be) claimed as a dependent by someone else.            

·        They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.                                          

·        She is not being claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichaelDC

No. She can't. Here are all of the requirements :

·        She provided more than half of your financial support. More info      FAIL!

·        You made less than $4,050 in gross income during 2017.      FAIL!

·        They live with her or they are related to her.                                                 

·        They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident. 

·        They aren't (or won't be) claimed as a dependent by someone else.            

·        They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.                                          

·        She is not being claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

she filed before me, so what do i have to do in order to have mine not be rejected? she wont change hers over and is wanting me to allow her to claim me on my returns.

If she does not amend and change her return to remove you she can look forward to an audit letter from the IRS in about a year from now with a bill for not only for the amount of refund or tax reduction from improperly claiming you, but interest and penalties in addition, which can be very costly.

Even if you say on your return that you can be a dependent it will not help because your age and amount of income and the fact that you cannot report a student status is all the IRS needs to audit.  Your age is over 18 and your income is over the $4,050 limit for a non-student to be claimed.  Without either you or your mother reporting a 1098-T from a school to prove that you are a student, not claiming yourself will not help.  

(Note: the IRS pays refunds now but matches tax returns to each other and school records a year to two years after the tax returns are filed to allow time for all records and amended returns to be filed and available before they do the checks and sent the audit letters).

You can only MAIL file a correct return.  Because your SSN has already been used in the e-file system, your return will reject if you e-file.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies