Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpthoms2

Can I take the American Opportunity Credit?

I have in my history, Completed an LPN certificate program, an Associates Degree in Nursing and am now enrolled in an RN-MSN program. I finished the last of the foundational courses (BSN courses) in 2017 How do I determine if I have completed four years of postsecondary education? There is no bachelors degree in this program. I started this program in 2016.

The statement is below:

1. As of the beginning of 2017, the student had not completed the first 4 years of postsecondary education (generally, the freshman through senior years of college), as determined by the eligible educational institution. For this purpose, don't include academic credit awarded solely because of the student's performance on proficiency examinations.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KiaraE

Based upon the IRS website:

For the American opportunity tax credit, an eligible student is a student who: (1) is enrolled in a program leading toward a degree, certificate or other recognized post-secondary educational credential; (2) has not completed the first four years of post-secondary education as of the beginning of the taxable year; (3) for at least one academic period is carrying at least ½ of the normal full-time work load for the course of study the student is pursuing; and (4) has not been convicted of a felony drug offense. 

From: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/american-opportunity-tax-credit-questions-and-answers

The American Opportunity Credit is for the first certification or degree that you are pursuing. In this case, it appears that you are no longer eligible for this credit, based upon when you first began the program.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
KiaraE

When did you begin your first program?
jpthoms2

The LPN program? I started that program in 1999.  The ADN program finished June 2007. Or the program I am currently attending? I started that in July of 2015
KiaraE

Have you ever taken the American Opportunity Credit at all?
jpthoms2

yes. I believe this would be my third or fourth time,
jpthoms2

How do we reconcile this from the Q&A from <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/american-opportunity-tax-credit-questions-and-answers">https://www.irs....>

Q13. If a student was an undergraduate during the first part of the taxable year and became a graduate student that same year, will the student qualify for the American opportunity tax credit?

A. If a student has not completed the first four years of post-secondary education as of the beginning of the taxable year, and has not claimed the Hope scholarship credit and/or the American opportunity tax credit for more than four taxable years, the student can claim the American opportunity tax credit for qualified expenses paid during the entire taxable year.
KiaraE

Your first of four years would begin the first time that you claimed the credit.
jpthoms2

Thank you
KiaraE

Based upon the IRS website:

For the American opportunity tax credit, an eligible student is a student who: (1) is enrolled in a program leading toward a degree, certificate or other recognized post-secondary educational credential; (2) has not completed the first four years of post-secondary education as of the beginning of the taxable year; (3) for at least one academic period is carrying at least ½ of the normal full-time work load for the course of study the student is pursuing; and (4) has not been convicted of a felony drug offense. 

From: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/american-opportunity-tax-credit-questions-and-answers

The American Opportunity Credit is for the first certification or degree that you are pursuing. In this case, it appears that you are no longer eligible for this credit, based upon when you first began the program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies