Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MR705
Returning Member

Can I report an academic scholarship received for college in 2022 and 2023 if received in 2022? Scholarship from high school and nonprofit organizations.

Not reported on 1098-T
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can I report an academic scholarship received for college in 2022 and 2023 if received in 2022? Scholarship from high school and nonprofit organizations.

It depends on what "received" means. If the money was sent to the school, you report in the year it was applied by the school to your account for  college expenses. If the money was sent to you, it is applied to 2022 expenses or reported on your 2022 return. 

What is it that you're trying to accomplish?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you received the scholarship funds in 2022, yes, report those funds. 

If the scholarship is to cover expenses for the first three months of 2023, and those expenses were paid in 2022, also claim those expenses. (That should be included in Box 1 of your 1098-T)

If the scholarship is to cover expenses for the first three months of 2023, and those expenses were NOT paid in 2022, you can wait and claim the scholarship on your 2023 Tax Year return if you want to match up those expenses with the scholarship OR claim the scholarship as income for 2022 and claim the expenses on your 2023 return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies