NolaNola

Can I deduct the cost of religion courses I took at my church? These courses count toward a Bible Scholar certificate. I paid tuition per semester.

MargaretL

It depends.  If the church is an accredited school, you can deduct the tuition as your education expenses. Otherwise, you cannot. 

If you took the courses to prepare your for a new skill/work, they are not deductible either. However, if you work and the courses are for your existing trade/skill, they are deducted as your job-related expenses if you are an employee or as your regular "business" expenses if you are self-employment. If none of the above applies, you cannot deduct the courses, they are considered personal and are not deductible at this point. 

MargaretL

smartinez1960

I am attending Bible College at my church and I am paying the tuition out of my pocket. Can I take a credit on my taxes?

Hal_Al

To be eligible for the tuition credits, the course must be taken at "an eligible institution".  I doubt that your church qualifies.

The school should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution. In general, an eligible educational institution is an accredited college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution, including accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately-owned, profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Additionally, in order to be an eligible educational institution, the school must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. If they issue a 1098-T they are probably an eligible institution.