Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pmribeiro

Can I deduct my daughter's post-education expenses (fees) towards a certificate in Human Resources Management, even if the university won't send me a 1098-T?

We called the school (FIU), and they said that the $1850 fee we paid was "unqualified" tuition. Am I still able to deduct it somehow?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Can I deduct my daughter's post-education expenses (fees) towards a certificate in Human Resources Management, even if the university won't send me a 1098-T?

Unfortunately, no.   To claim either education credit, fees have to be required for enrollment or attendance, for example, lab fees.    You don't need a 1098-T to claim an education credit, but the expenses have to be qualified (see link for IRS definition).

The 2 education tax credits

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm of the opinion that the school is wrong.  The course may not qualify for the more generous American Opportunity Credit, but it does qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit.

From the IRS link at the other reply: "You must pay the expenses for higher education that result in a degree or other recognized education credential. For the Lifetime Learning Credit, you can qualify if you take the course to acquire or improve your job skills.

After answering that you did not get a 1098-T, in TT, say that you qualify for an exception.  Your daughter must be your dependent, for you to claim the LLC.  Otherwise, she can claim it, on her return, even though you paid it. 

This answer assumes FIU is  on the DOE list of eligible institutions. 

pmribeiro

Thanks. I was leaning toward LLC, I may try that. Will try and see if FIU shows in DOE's list (which I believe it is).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies