Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct a computer that I bought for my bachelor's degree at University? or does the purchase have to be for only online program?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Can I deduct a computer that I bought for my bachelor's degree at University? or does the purchase have to be for only online program?

Yes you can deduct your laptop, if you needed the laptop but only for the American Opportunity Credit.

For American Opportunity Credit only, expenses for books, supplies, and equipment the student needs for a course of study are included in qualified education expenses even if it is not paid to the school.

For the Lifetime Learning Credit, expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment can ONLY be qualified expenses if the fees and expenses are paid to the school as a condition of enrollment or attendance.

Please see the attached link for what expenses qualify for the American Opportunity Credit:

Qualified Expenses for American Opportunity Tax Credit

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes you can deduct your laptop, if you needed the laptop but only for the American Opportunity Credit.

For American Opportunity Credit only, expenses for books, supplies, and equipment the student needs for a course of study are included in qualified education expenses even if it is not paid to the school.

For the Lifetime Learning Credit, expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment can ONLY be qualified expenses if the fees and expenses are paid to the school as a condition of enrollment or attendance.

Please see the attached link for what expenses qualify for the American Opportunity Credit:

Qualified Expenses for American Opportunity Tax Credit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies