Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ntbish27

Can I deduct a class required to take by my employer that advances education and skills and costs $1700?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Can I deduct a class required to take by my employer that advances education and skills and costs $1700?

Yes, you will be able to claim a deduction for these business education costs.

According to the IRS, for work-related education to be deductible, your expenses must be for education that (1) maintains or improves your job skills or (2) your employer or a law requires it to keep your salary, status, or job. However, even if the education meets either of these tests, the education cannot be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business or that you need to meet the minimal educational requirements of your trade or business

If your education expenses could be considered job-related, then you would be able to claim a deduction as un-reimbursed job-related expenses. These are deductible miscellaneous expenses that are subject to a 2% AGI limitation and are only deductible if you itemize.

To enter employee job related expense information in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return")

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab
  2. Next click on “Deductions and credits”
  3. Next click on "jump to full list" or “Show me all tax breaks"
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Employment Expenses”
  5. Choose "show more", then Job-related expenses and follow the onscreen instructions

• Say "yes" to question "Did you have any of these expenses in 2016 for your W-2 income?" under the screen titled "Employment Expenses Related to a W-2".
  • after about 6 to 10 question screens, you will get to a screen titled "Any Other Expenses" you can put this information here

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

Yes, you will be able to claim a deduction for these business education costs.

According to the IRS, for work-related education to be deductible, your expenses must be for education that (1) maintains or improves your job skills or (2) your employer or a law requires it to keep your salary, status, or job. However, even if the education meets either of these tests, the education cannot be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business or that you need to meet the minimal educational requirements of your trade or business

If your education expenses could be considered job-related, then you would be able to claim a deduction as un-reimbursed job-related expenses. These are deductible miscellaneous expenses that are subject to a 2% AGI limitation and are only deductible if you itemize.

To enter employee job related expense information in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return")

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab
  2. Next click on “Deductions and credits”
  3. Next click on "jump to full list" or “Show me all tax breaks"
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Employment Expenses”
  5. Choose "show more", then Job-related expenses and follow the onscreen instructions

• Say "yes" to question "Did you have any of these expenses in 2016 for your W-2 income?" under the screen titled "Employment Expenses Related to a W-2".
  • after about 6 to 10 question screens, you will get to a screen titled "Any Other Expenses" you can put this information here

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies