Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kwrktnwld

Can I claim my remaining 2 yrs of AOC as a recent graduated grad (graduated in May 2018) ? I was in college in 2005-2009 and only received Hope credits for 05’ and 06’.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cindy0H

Can I claim my remaining 2 yrs of AOC as a recent graduated grad (graduated in May 2018) ? I was in college in 2005-2009 and only received Hope credits for 05’ and 06’.

No, you cannot. The American Opportunity Credit is only for undergraduate education. You can use this credit for the first four years of college when working towards a degree.

The Hope Credit became the American Opportunity Credit in 2009.  If claimed any education expenses in 2008 or before, the Hope Credit could be claimed as Education Credits like the American Opportunity Credit.

The Lifetime Learning Credit might be an option for you.

Lifetime Learning Credit:

There is no limit on the number of years you can use this credit for undergraduate, graduate and professional degree courses, including ones to improve job skills.

• Maximum credit is $2,000 per tax return.
  • Can be used when you're only taking one class.
  • You don't need to be working towards a degree.
  • None of the credit is refundable.
kwrktnwld

Ok, should I answer yes or no to "Had you earned four years of college credit before 2018"?    Should I say no since i only received hope credit in 05' and 06'?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies