Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rjtr

Can I claim my daughter's student loan interest if I'm a cosigner, I do NOT claim her as a dependent and am the only person who made payments on the loan last year?

TurboTax does not provide a way to enter the interest amount unless I claim that the loan is in my name.  My SSN is not on the 1098-E, nor is my daughter's SSN on my tax return as she is not a dependent.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim my daughter's student loan interest if I'm a cosigner, I do NOT claim her as a dependent and am the only person who made payments on the loan last year?

If you meet the conditions for deducting student loan interest, just indicate to TT that you are the borrower since you are obligated to pay on the loan. From IRS Publication 970 re student loan interest:

Generally, you can claim the deduction if all of the following requirements are met.

• Your filing status is any filing status except married filing separately.

• No one else is claiming an exemption for you on his or her tax return.

• You are legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan.

• You paid interest on a qualified student loan.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you meet the conditions for deducting student loan interest, just indicate to TT that you are the borrower since you are obligated to pay on the loan. From IRS Publication 970 re student loan interest:

Generally, you can claim the deduction if all of the following requirements are met.

• Your filing status is any filing status except married filing separately.

• No one else is claiming an exemption for you on his or her tax return.

• You are legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan.

• You paid interest on a qualified student loan.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies