sstrunk11

Can I claim educational expenses for a dependent child even though these loans and grants will not be paid back by me as a dependent parent?

claim question about educational loans

MinhT

Yes, you only can your dependent child's education expenses, even if you will not be paying off the loans which were used to pay these expenses.

The following is an extract from a document from the IRS:

Who can claim a dependent's education expenses.   If a student is claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, all qualified education expenses of the student are treated as having been paid by that person. Therefore, only that person can claim an education credit for the student. If a student is not claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, only the student can claim a credit.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing