leannell991

Can I claim college tuition for tax reporting as I am an international student but have been in USA for more than 5 years?

Hi:

I have been studied in US for more than 5 years and was attending grad school at the first half of 2017. But I didn't receive Form 1098-T from my school. As an international student, can I still report my tuition expense and scholarships for tax claim purpose in Turbo Tax?

Thanks a lot!

LinaJ2018

If you have lived in the US for more than five years on a F-visa, and starting from January 1 of your 6th year, if you have met the Substantial Presence Test SPT, you are likely to be considered as a resident for tax purposes. Per IRS, as a US citizen or resident, you are allowed to claim an education credit or deduction if meet other requirements.  You can use TurboTax to file your 2017 taxes. Please see attached information for details.