Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I be claimed as a full-time student when I'm considered one by my school but the term I had did wasn't 5 months long.

The term that I am considered a full-time student for only lasted from August to December, so while it says I was a full-time student the time doesn't necessarily match up. Also for the other terms of college I did in 2023 I wasn't a full-time student, only taking 3 classes prior to August.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Can I be claimed as a full-time student when I'm considered one by my school but the term I had did wasn't 5 months long.

Yes.

"A full-time student is a student who is enrolled for the number of hours or courses that the school considers to be full-time attendance.

To qualify as a student, the person must be, during some part of each of any five calendar months of the year:

1. A full-time student at a school that has a regular teaching staff, course of study, and a regularly enrolled student body at the school, or
  2. A student taking a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school described in (1), or by a state, county, or local government agency.

The five calendar months do not have to be consecutive.

This information is found in the Personal Exemptions and Dependents chapter of Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

If you were a full time student from Aug 31 (or earlier) to Dec 1 (or later) you meet the 5 month rule (parts of 5 calendar months). 

Meeting the 5 month rule only matters for whether your parents can claim you, as a dependent, under the Qualifying child rules.  You do not need 5 months to claim an education credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies