Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmeetze88
Returning Member

Brunel University on Federal Student Loan list but not on DAPIP

Hi.  I am currently in school at Brunel University in London but they did not provide me with a 1098-T form.  I found them on the Federal Student Loan link provided (OPEID 01178000) but not on the DAPIP (US Dept of Education link).  Can I still deduct my tuition of around $22K?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

If they are an  Eligible Educational Institution - Internal Revenue Service.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kmeetze88
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply but I don’t understand the answer.  Brunel is listed on one list but not on the other (dept of education). They did not provide 1098 nor do they have an EIN.  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I would GUESS yes, since they are on the list for FSA Partners. 

Since they are not a US school, they would not be listed on the US Department of Education list and not have an EIN number. 

I'm sure their financial aid office or student services could give you a definite answer. 

According to the IRS:

“Eligible educational institution. An eligible educational institution is any college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education. Virtually all accredited public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately owned profit-making) postsecondary institutions meet this definition. An eligible educational institution also includes certain educational institutions located outside the United States that are eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education. The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution.”

https://fsapartners.ed.gov/knowledge-center/library/federal-school-code-lists/2023-10-20/2024-25-fed...

“If a student's educational institution isn't required to provide Form 1098-T to the student, you may claim a credit without Form 1098-T if you otherwise qualify, can demonstrate that you (or a dependent) were enrolled at an eligible educational institution, and can substantiate the payment of qualified tuition and related expenses.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies