Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cstimmel

Bonus depreciation on property improvement repiping rental home

I repiped my rental home this year.  This is an improvement.  Using Turbo I note no place to specifically report an improvement without setting up another 27.5 year asset.  However,  I can do is the line for furnishings etc.  Its for 5 years and reports 80% depreciation for the first year.  Form what I have read improvements in the interior of the home would qualify but the schedule(number of years) were generally missing from these articles.   So I'd just like a check.   First is this cost subject to the bonus deprecation rules?  And if so do I use the Furnishing line in turbo to claim it to get the 80% and the 5 year depreciation?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, a major improvement like re-piping your rental home would fall under the 'real estate' category and be depreciated at 27.5 years, like the home itself.

For tax purposes, there are six general categories of non-real estate assets. Each has a designated number of years over which assets in that category can be depreciated. Here are the most common ones:

• Three-year property (including tractors, certain manufacturing tools, and some livestock)
  • Five-year property (including computers, office equipment, cars, light trucks, and assets used in construction)
  • Seven-year property (including office furniture, appliances, and property that hasn't been placed in another category)

Here's more detailed info on handling Capital Improvements for your rental property and Depreciation of Business Assets. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cstimmel

I read two articles on Bonus Depreciation under the TCJA Tax Cut And Jobs Act and got the impression improvements would fall under it.  Since this was an improvement to the interior of the house I thought it would be covered.  Thanks for your input. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies