joelisatax

As a teacher, my wife has Continuing Education Tuition expenses; no 1098-T. Can we deduct and if so, where do I input the tuition amount? thanks

Hal_Al

You are allowed to deduct your continuing education other job expenses, subtracting what you were reimbursed (do not subtract your reimbursement if it was included on your W-2 as taxable income). TurboTax completes form  2106, which  then carries to Misc itemized deductions on Schedule A. The problem with this is that you only get to deduct that portion of  your misc deductions that exceed 2% of your AGI. and then only if your total  itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction.  (2% rule explained: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2902781-what-is-the-2-rule)

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

-Employment Expenses
-- Job related expenses

Hal_Al

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

-Employment Expenses
-- Job related expenses