Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marlenne_28
Returning Member

Are scholarships can be filled as earned as income? I was refunded amount as left over from tuition

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Are scholarships can be filled as earned as income? I was refunded amount as left over from tuition

If you have a filing requirement scholarship not used for qualified education expenses is unearned income. (Curiously, it is earned income only to determine if there is a filing requirement).

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Are taxable scholarships  filed as earned  income?

A. Yes. Or, more accurately, mostly yes. 

Scholarships are a hybrid between earned and unearned income. It is earned income for purposes of the $13,850 filing requirement and the dependent standard deduction calculation (earned income + $400).  It is not earned income for the kiddie tax and other purposes (e.g. EIC).  For grad students and post grad fellows, scholarship, stipend and fellowship income is earned income ("compensation") for IRA contributions.

The amount you were "refunded" isn't necessarily the taxable amount. You have to consider out of pocket expenses (books and computer), amount used to claim a credit (by parent or student) and the fact that room & board are not qualified expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies