Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are amounts paid from a 529 for qualified education expenses taxable if the student drops out of school or withdrawals from classes?

I used my son's 529 to pay for tuition--he was enrolled part-time at the time of enrollment. He then withdrew from his courses over half way through the semester. The University refunded about 25% of the tuition (qualified education expenses) and I re-contributed the refund back into his 529 within 60 days. My question relates to the portion that was NOT refunded. Is that amount still deemed having been paid for qualified expenses (i.e., NOT taxable)?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Are amounts paid from a 529 for qualified education expenses taxable if the student drops out of school or withdrawals from classes?

Q. Are amounts paid from a 529 for qualified education expenses taxable if the student drops out of school or withdrawals from classes?

A. No.  At least, not just because he dropped out.

Q. My question relates to the portion that was NOT refunded. Is that amount still deemed having been paid for qualified expenses (i.e., NOT taxable)?

A. Yes. Expenses paid, and not refunded, are still qualified educational expenses, even if if he didn't finish the courses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies