Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

American Opportunity Tax Credit Unclear

So, I graudated High School in 2017.

At community college: 

I took dual enrollment classes spring of 2016- 2 classes.

In Fall 2017 I took 5 classes.

Winter of 2017 I took 2 classes.

Spring of 2018 I took 5 classes.

Fall and Spring of i took 1 class for 1 unit (band) in a community college program.

I transfered to a university in fall 2019 and took classes all the way through Spring 2022 (Which i earned my degree).

I recieved cal grant all of the years, at jr college was covered under pell grants and had deferred calgrant. 

I have never claimed the American Opportunity credit and dont know what to do. Some people say I have been in college for more than 4 years while others say that with the time off and the random band courses dont count. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You are eligible for AOC credit on your 2022 return. 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Please see this from the IRS:

Who is an eligible student for AOTC?

To be eligible for AOTC, the student must:

• Be pursuing a degree or other recognized education credential
  • Be enrolled at least half time for at least one academic period* beginning in the tax year
  • Not have finished the first four years of higher education at the beginning of the tax year
  • Not have claimed the AOTC or the former Hope credit for more than four tax years
  • Not have a felony drug conviction at the end of the tax year

*Academic Period can be semesters, trimesters, quarters or any other period of study such as a summer school session. The schools determine the academic periods. For schools that use clock or credit hours and do not have academic terms, the payment period may be treated as an academic period.

You would be an eligible student to claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit for 2022 as long as you were enrolled at least half time in 2022. From your information, you qualify based on the other four items that determine eligibility as long as you did not have a felony drug conviction at the end of the tax year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Some people say I have been in college for more than 4 years. Is that correct?

A.  No. "Completed 4years of college" means that you have completed the course work associated with being in college (about 40 courses). It usually means you have a completed a bachelors degree. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies