Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trent221

American Opportunity Credit

I am filling out my tax form and am told I can't claim an Education tax break because one of the following may be true:

Here is why you may not qualify:

Somebody else can claim you as a dependent on their return

Scholarships, grants, and other tax free assistance exceed the education expenses

There were no net qualified education expenses

None of these are true.  What can I do now?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

American Opportunity Credit

Delete the 1098-T and start over.

Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click delete next to the student's name.  You'll then get the "Your Education Expenses Summary" screen again.  Click the "Add a student" button and re-enter the info.

If you hit the same snag, explain, here, why you think you do qualify, providing numbers and whether you are the student or the parent. 

A full time unmarried student, under age 24, even if you don't qualify as a dependent, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he supports himself by working. You cannot be supporting yourself on parental support, 529 plans or student loans & grants. It is usually best if the parent claims that credit. 

You cannot claim a credit if you are, or can be, claimed as a dependent by someone else.

Reference: Line 7 instructions for form 8863. https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8863

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies