Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I able to deduct expenses for my out of state internship? I received a $4000 stipend from my school for this which was reported to me on a 1099-misc.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Am I able to deduct expenses for my out of state internship? I received a $4000 stipend from my school for this which was reported to me on a 1099-misc.

It looks like you are using TurboTax Desktop, Basic.  If you want to deduct expenses, you can upgrade to home and business and use the interview feature, or you go to Forms mode and enter directly on Schedule C.  To do the later, click on Forms in the upper right of your screen.  Once in Forms mode, on the left hand side, Click on Open Form.  Locate your Schedule C under Forms in my Return, and click to open.  Enter your expenses on the form.  Do not "override" any fields.  If you do, you won't be able to e-file and the accuracy guarantee will be void.

Thank you!  Would housing and transportation be deductible expenses?  This was an unpaid internship out of state.
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No, unfortunately there is no deduction for housing and transportation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies