turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Adult Dependent Student Children file separately?

I have a unique situation.  I have to adult children age 30 and 27 who are full time college students. The 30 year old is disabled and living at home attending university online.  The 27 year old lives on campus.

I support both with more than 1/2 of their living and school expenses. either has earn more than $5000 in reportable income.  They qualify as dependents, however can I claim their 1098-Ts and do I need to report their income on my tax return or file separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Adult Dependent Student Children file separately?

You don't report any of your children's income on your tax return.

The treatment is different for your two children.

The 30-year-old child is disabled. Note that for the IRS he must be permanently and totally disabled to be considered disabled. You can claim this child as a dependent, regardless of his income if he doesn't provide more than half of his own support. As you claim him as your dependent, you can claim his education credits by entering his form 1098-T on your own tax return. He can file his own tax return, but has to indicate that he can be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer.

The 27-year-old is a full-time student, but earns more than $4,700 in 2023. You can't claim him as your dependent, even if you provided more than half of his support. He can file his own tax return and claim his own education credits by entering his form 1098-T on his return.

Please read this TurboTax article on Rules for claiming dependents.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies