Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

529 refund received on '23 for tuition paid in '22

I paid my daughter's Spring 2023 tuition in 2022 from a 529.  She received a refund in 2023.  This refund was redeposited into the 529.  TurboTax will not allow me to report the redeposited refund on the 2023 return because it exceeds the amount that was withdrawn from the 529 in 2023.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

You have nothing to report, just don't enter it in TurboTax. 

References:

1. On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 
  2. IRS Pub 970 states: “Generally, distributions are tax free if they aren't more than the beneficiary's AQEE for the year. Don't report tax-free distributions (including qualifying rollovers) on your tax return”.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You have nothing to report, just don't enter it in TurboTax. 

References:

1. On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 
  2. IRS Pub 970 states: “Generally, distributions are tax free if they aren't more than the beneficiary's AQEE for the year. Don't report tax-free distributions (including qualifying rollovers) on your tax return”.

I really don't understand your answer.  Are ypou saying I do not need to report the refund?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Are you saying I do not need to report the refund?

A. Yes, because it was re-deposited in the 529 account.

Turbo tax specifically asks for this information.

Hal_Al
Level 15

I assumed the re-deposit (rollover) made in 2023 was for 529 funds withdrawn in 2022 and reported on your 2022 tax return.  Since you are now reporting your 2023 1099-Q, that refund has nothing to do with 2023. Entering it is just going to make a mess. TT can't handle this situation, you have to know what you're doing. 

The 1099-Q is just an informational document. You do not have to enter it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies