Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099Q 1098T Confusion Again

I just spent an hour reading all the TT forum posts I can about 1099Q and 1098T and AOTC but I am just more confused than ever. I've tried entering things multiple ways in TT based on the posts, and every time I do I get something different -- it swings from me owing $1K to getting a $2K refund depending on what order I enter 1098T and 1099Q.

I am 100% sure everything on the 1099Q went toward qualifying education expenses, so what I'm reading is I shouldn't enter the 1099Q in TT at all.  Right? That's what seems to trigger all the weirdness in TT.

Regarding the 1098T, all but around $350 in expenses was covered by the 529 plan, so it's my understanding that the AOTC should only equal that amount if we choose to claim it.  Right?

But, I can't get Turbo Tax to do that... it only gives me the full credit... which looks like a nice return for us but it sounds like that would have tax implications for my daughter when she files her taxes (she earned around $3K for a summer job). Right?

Questions:

-- is there a way to adjust my AOTC in TT without having to enter my 1099Q (which seems to trigger me owing tax)?

-- if I claim the full AOTC like TT is currently saying, what needs to happen when we file my daughter's taxes?

-- should I consider the Lifetime Learning Credit instead? Would that have any implications on my daughter's taxes?

I know that I can just not put the 1098-T on my return at all, but it would be nice to get one of the education credits (even if it's just a few hundred dollars).

Also thanks in advance to all those who patiently post answers about this issue over and over.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  is there a way to adjust my AOTC in TT without having to enter my 1099Q (which seems to trigger me owing tax)?

A1. No, unless your student has an unrestricted scholarship (she's not required to use it all for tuition). In order to shift expenses to the AOTC, you have to shift an equal amount (apparently $3650) away form the 529 distribution or the student's tax free scholarship. 

A2. Yes, maybe. If you did not already assign room and board expenses to the 1099-Q.  R&B are not qualified expenses for the AOTC or tax free scholarship, but R&B is qualified for a 529 distribution. 

Q. if I claim the full AOTC like TT is currently saying, what needs to happen when we file my daughter's taxes?

A. Nothing, if the 1099-Q is in your name (you are the recipient).  Unless, we decide to make some of her scholarship taxable.

Q, should I consider the Lifetime Learning Credit instead?

A. No. You have to go through the same rigmarole with less credit and more tax

Q Would that have any implications on my daughter's taxes, if I use the LLC?

A. Nothing, Unless, we decide to make some of her scholarship taxable, then more taxable income. 

Provide the following info for more specific help:

• Are you the student or parent.
  • Is the  student  the parent's dependent.
  • Box 1 of the 1098-T
  • box 5 of the 1098-T
  • Any other scholarships not shown in box 5
  • Does box 5 include any of the 529/ESA plan payments (it should not)
  • Is any of the Scholarship restricted; i.e. it must be used for tuition
  • Box 1 of the 1099-Q
  • Box 2 of the 1099-Q
  • Who’s name and SS# are on the 1099-Q, parent or student (who’s the “recipient”)?
  • Room & board paid. If student lives off campus, what is school's R&B on campus charge. If he lives at home, the school’s R&B “allowance for cost of attendance” for student living with parents.
  • Other qualified expenses not included in box 1 of the 1098-T, e.g. books & computers
  • How much taxable income does the student have, from what sources
  • Are you trying to claim the tuition credit (are you eligible)?
  • Is the student an undergrad or grad student?
  • Is the student a degree candidate attending school half time or more?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The American Opportunity Credit (AOC or AOTC) is 100% of the first $2000 of tuition and 25% of the next $2000 ($2500 maximum credit). The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board which is only qualified for the 1099-Q)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (on the recipient’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

There is  $1120 of taxable income (on the recipient’s return)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. 

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  is there a way to adjust my AOTC in TT without having to enter my 1099Q (which seems to trigger me owing tax)?

A1. No, unless your student has an unrestricted scholarship (she's not required to use it all for tuition). In order to shift expenses to the AOTC, you have to shift an equal amount (apparently $3650) away form the 529 distribution or the student's tax free scholarship. 

A2. Yes, maybe. If you did not already assign room and board expenses to the 1099-Q.  R&B are not qualified expenses for the AOTC or tax free scholarship, but R&B is qualified for a 529 distribution. 

Q. if I claim the full AOTC like TT is currently saying, what needs to happen when we file my daughter's taxes?

A. Nothing, if the 1099-Q is in your name (you are the recipient).  Unless, we decide to make some of her scholarship taxable.

Q, should I consider the Lifetime Learning Credit instead?

A. No. You have to go through the same rigmarole with less credit and more tax

Q Would that have any implications on my daughter's taxes, if I use the LLC?

A. Nothing, Unless, we decide to make some of her scholarship taxable, then more taxable income. 

Provide the following info for more specific help:

• Are you the student or parent.
  • Is the  student  the parent's dependent.
  • Box 1 of the 1098-T
  • box 5 of the 1098-T
  • Any other scholarships not shown in box 5
  • Does box 5 include any of the 529/ESA plan payments (it should not)
  • Is any of the Scholarship restricted; i.e. it must be used for tuition
  • Box 1 of the 1099-Q
  • Box 2 of the 1099-Q
  • Who’s name and SS# are on the 1099-Q, parent or student (who’s the “recipient”)?
  • Room & board paid. If student lives off campus, what is school's R&B on campus charge. If he lives at home, the school’s R&B “allowance for cost of attendance” for student living with parents.
  • Other qualified expenses not included in box 1 of the 1098-T, e.g. books & computers
  • How much taxable income does the student have, from what sources
  • Are you trying to claim the tuition credit (are you eligible)?
  • Is the student an undergrad or grad student?
  • Is the student a degree candidate attending school half time or more?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The American Opportunity Credit (AOC or AOTC) is 100% of the first $2000 of tuition and 25% of the next $2000 ($2500 maximum credit). The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board which is only qualified for the 1099-Q)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (on the recipient’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

There is  $1120 of taxable income (on the recipient’s return)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. 

Thanks so much, Hal (and thanks for all your other answers to questions like this -- I think I've read them all).

I went back into TT and deleted and then re-entered my 1099-Q (leaving the 1098-T info) and now it's properly calculating the AOTC.  Not sure why that didn't work the other three times but I'll take it.

The thing I'm still fuzzy on is when you mention "shifting" money away from the 529 to get more of the AOTC.  As far as I can tell, her scholarships are restricted to tuition, and the 1099-Q is in her name and SS# (paid directly to the school from the 529). Is it even possible to shift things around given those circumstances?  What are the steps I would need to take?

If it's possible to shift things around so we get a larger refund and she needs to pay little to no taxes when she files I'd want to know more.

Thanks again.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

There are some great examples in IRS Pub 970. 

If there are restrictions on scholarships, those restrictions need to be met. 

Some aid, such as Employer Reimbursement, the GI Bill, or VA Assistance cannot be claimed as taxable.

Distributions can be made to the school, but allocated elsewhere, such as to Room and Board, for tax reporting. 

Pub 970 is not difficult to understand and has some good advice as well as explaining tax law.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

The thing I'm still fuzzy on is when you mention "shifting" money away from the 529 to get more of the AOTC.  As far as I can tell, her scholarships are restricted to tuition, and the 1099-Q is in her name and SS# (paid directly to the school from the 529).

Q. Is it even possible to shift things around given those circumstances?

A. Yes and No.

Since the scholarship is restricted to tuition, you cannot switch that part  of the tuition anywhere else (not to the AOTC and not to 529). 

The fact that the 1099-Q is  in her name does not prevent you from shifting expenses from the 529, on her return,  to the AOTC, on your return.

Q. What are the steps I would need to take?

A. I need to know the numbers. 

Thanks again, Hal.

Box 1 of 1098-T is $39390

Box 5 is $26500

Room, board, and books were $13030 (I went back through my records and found a few more expenses I missed)

I actually have two 1099-Q forms because I mistakenly sent a deposit to my own account.

First 1099-Q is in my name:

Gross $1050

Earnings $436

Basis $614

Second 1099-Q in my daughter's name:

Gross $24139

Earnings $9731

Basis $14408

Hal_Al
Level 15

On your tax return, enter the 1098-T and claim the AOTC.  Do not enter your 1099-Q We will allocate $1050 of expenses to make it not reportable. 

Accounting (check my math):

(T1) 39,390 - (T5) 26,500 = $12,890 Tuition available for the 1099-Qs and AOTC

$12,890 + 13,030 = $25,920 total available qualified educational expenses (QEE).

$25,920 - $4000 (used for the AOTC) - 1050 (allocated to your 1099-Q) = $20,870 QEE for her 1099-Q

That is less than the box 1 amount (24,139) on her 1099-Q. So, some of it is taxable.

24,139 - 20,870 =  $3269 of the distribution is non qualified. 

3269 / 24,139 = 13.54% of distribution is non qualified.

(box 2 earnings) $9731 x 13.54% = $1318 of taxable income on her return.  It goes on line 8z of schedule 1.   TT will prepare form 5329 to claim the penalty exception (for the AOTC allocation). The $1318 is barely over the $1250 filing requirement If that is her only income, you're only looking at about $7 of income tax. 

How to enter that in TurboTax (TT)?  "Proper" way: Enter the 1099-Q first. Later, enter the 1098-T and the books and room & board expenses. You must answer yes to the book expenses question to get the R&B screen. You will eventually encounter a screen "amount used to claim education credit" (or some such wording). Verify that TT is using $4000 or change it to $4000.  Verify the outcome( $1318  on line 8z of schedule 1.  Warning: it gets complicated and mistakes can be made.

Workaround short cut: Enter the 1099-Q. When asked who the student is answer: someone else not listed here (lying to TurboTax to get it to do what you want does not constitute lying to the IRS).  Enter the student's name when asked.  A few screens later, you'll get one simple screen to enter expenses ($12,890 tuition and $11,980 R&B [13,030-1050]). Press Done at the 1099-Q summary screen, to get there. Also enter $4000 in the box "Tax-free assistance".  This reports the earnings as taxable and claims the AOTC penalty exception. You do not have to deal with the complicated “Educational expenses and Scholarships” (1098-T) section later. 

You can use this method whether entering a 1099-Q on your return or the student's return. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

I Edited the above:

you'll get one simple screen to enter expenses ($12,890 tuition and $13,030 R&B)

should read

,you'll get one simple screen to enter expenses ($12,890 tuition and $11,980 R&B [13,030-1050]).

Thanks again, Hal.  Math looks right to me.

One thing I'm not sure how to do in TT is check the actual forms (you mention checking the Schedule 1). How does that work?

Hal_Al
Level 15

I think you can't see all the forms until you pay the TT fee, but, you can view your Form 1040 plus Schedules 1, 2 and 3 at any time using the online editions. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen..

Screen shot at:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/why-is-the-child-tax-credit-not-...

Hi Hal,

I thought I had this all going well until I got to my daughter's return -- I don't know how to enter the additional taxable income in TT.  I see no option for 1099-Q without also having to enter a 1098-T.  Or is there some other category I need to look for?

Thanks again.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

There's a couple ways to do this to get the Taxable Scholarship Income into your daughter's return.  It ends up on different lines on the 1040, but the income is taxed the same way.

Enter a 1098-T in the Education section with a $0 in Box 1 and the Taxable Scholarship Amount in Box 5.

Enter the Taxable Scholarship under Wages & Income > Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C > Other Reportable Income > Other Taxable Income.

@UnSureman 

Thanks, Marilyn -- very helpful!

Last (?) question -- does the $1318 amount go on Schedule 1 of my return AND on my daughter's return?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Whoever's return you entered the 1099-Q on if using Hal_Al workaround option above.   When you enter those amounts, TurboTax will put the amount on Line 8z of Schedule 1 automatically.    To manually report income on Line 8z, 

1. With your return open, go to Federal then Wages & Income.
  2. Open the Less Common Income section and select Start or Revisit next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  3. On the next screen, select Start or Revisit the very last entry, Other reportable income.
  4. Answer Yes on the Any Other Taxable Income? screen.
  5. On the next screen, enter a description (for example, NQEE) and then enter the total USD amount.
  6. Select Continue, then Done.

[Edited 03/06/24 | 9:02 AM PST]

Got it.  Thanks for clearing up the confusion!  It automatically appeared onto my return when I entered the 1099-Q and 1098-T so I'll need to go back and figure out how to take it off.

Appreciate all of your help so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies