Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lynfyfe

1099-Q - reporting tuition refund for dropped course

We paid our son's winter 2017 tuition from a 529 plan in November of 2016 (the due date) and the university credited the payment in December 2016.  In January 2017, he changed his schedule which resulted in a partial tuition refund from the university in February 2017.  We did not reinvest the refunded money into the 529 plan, because we intend to use it toward spring 2017 college expenses.  Do I need to report the refund on my 2016 return since the refund was not issued till 2017?  (I am the recipient of the 1099-Q)
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

No. You do not need to change your 2016 return (unless you want to). 

You have the option of doing what you plan, applying the refund to 2017 expenses. But, keep in mind that since you claimed a tax benefit in 2016, you cannot use that same money to claim a tax benefit in 2017 (neither a tuition credit or a new 529 plan distribution)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

No. You do not need to change your 2016 return (unless you want to). 

You have the option of doing what you plan, applying the refund to 2017 expenses. But, keep in mind that since you claimed a tax benefit in 2016, you cannot use that same money to claim a tax benefit in 2017 (neither a tuition credit or a new 529 plan distribution)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies