turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kschmid

1099-NEC

I received a 1099 - NEC for a scholarship.  How do I report it? If I report it in the business income, how do classify the business? Is it a cash business? Do I owe Self Employment taxes on it?

Greatly appreciate any help. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

1099-NEC

The IRS considers anything on a form 1099-NEC to be self employment income. Enter the 1099 income, at 1099-MISC and Other Common income / income from a 1099-NEC . TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C  for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & Medicare) on any profits greater than $432. If you try reporting 1099-NEC income as anything else, you chances of hearing from the IRS are  higher.  But, if it was a one time thing, it's easier to prove. 

That said, scholarships are not reported on a 1099-NEC or even a 1099-MISC.  What are the circumstances of you receiving this "scholarship".  Who did you get it from and why did  you get it?  Was the money paid to you or to the school? If to the school, was it also reported in box 5 of your 1098-T?

kschmid

1099-NEC

It is a scholarship award from an industry organization (construction), not an educational institution. It was paid directly to me not my university. I also received a 109-T from my university. For the business classification should I then list construction not education?

Hal_Al
Level 15

1099-NEC

Q. For the business classification should I then list construction not education?

A. Yes. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies