turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DFRN

1098-T

Where do I post the information for a truck driving school course if I did not receive a 1098 form or an EIN from the college? The college stated they are not required to provide a 1098-T for some of their courses. Truck driving is a new career for me so I had to pay for a certified CDL course, books and a CDL license. 

DFRN

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

1098-T

The EIN is an IRS requirement if you want to claim a credit.  Are you able to find an EIN for the school from fellow students or by internet search?

This IRS FAQ states:

To claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) or Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC), use Form 8863, Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits)

Additionally, if you claim the AOTC, this law requires you to include the school’s Employer Identification Number on this form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

1098-T

To be eligible for the tuition credits, the course must be taken at "an eligible institution". The school should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution. In general, an eligible educational institution is an accredited college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution, including accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately-owned, profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Additionally, in order to be an eligible educational institution, the school must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. If they don't issue a 1098-T they are probably not an eligible institution.

Enter your school at the link below, to see if it's on the dept. of education list.

https://ope.ed.gov/dapip/#/home

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies