Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SSILVA
Returning Member

1098 T same problem as others are having

I am having th same problem with 1098 T where Turbo Tax does not recognize my daughter. I follow instructions provided to others and still does not work

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You must have entered your daughter, as your dependent, earlier in the personal info section of TurboTax. You can not claim a tuition credit on a student who is not yourself, your spouse or your dependent. 

SSILVA
Returning Member

You said I cannot claim a credit on a student who is not myself, not my husband or not my dependent.  SHe is my dependent living with me 12 months in a year and going to full time college but is near my house so she just commutes every day.  I paid for her tuition.

SSILVA
Returning Member

She is my dependent going to school full time.  SHe commutes to school everyday from home.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Did you add her as a dependent?   Once you add her as a dependent, you will be able to select her name from the drop-down list when asked who these education expenses apply to.   

How to add a dependent

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SSILVA
Returning Member

Yes.  I added and she qualified by Turbotax to receive the credits for college, but when I run the "smart check" the 1098-T, under "Identify Student" states,

A. " If studens is (then My and my husband name is type) Double clik to link this 1098-T to the applicable Taxpayer or Spouse.

B. If Student is. (has my daugher's name) double click to link this 1098-T to the applicable Dependent Student Information Worksheet.

B does apply, but when I double click, nothing happens.  Next to A and B above, there is also a yellow filed.  I tried to type her name on that field it does not take it.

I don't click any anything  under "A" because it does not apply to me of my husband.

SSILVA
Returning Member

I also noticed that the Quick Zoom" links at the bottom of the 1098-T to take you to another copy of Form 1098-T and the different worksheets does not work when I single or double click.

My daughter attended 2 schools and both of them were added, but I don't see the second school in the 1098-T

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Try this - go back to step by step and go through the 1098-T interview.   Start the interview in the Deductions and Credits section - Education, 1098-T.    After answering Yes, you will be able to choose her name on the Tell Us Which Person was a student in 2023, screen.    Is her name listed?    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies