Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

luigi94
Returning Member

1098-T Issue

Hello,

I'm having an issue on reporting scholarship amounts for my school. 2021 was my last semseter at the school and I had roughly 20k in scholarship reported in box 5 but the paid expenses in box 1 was only 150. The tution and qualified expenses is more than the full amount in scholarships. However, that was billed before the 2021 year but they are reporting the scholarships for 2021. Need help resolving this as the school said they can't change the amount but just send me an invoice of the expenses paid.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

1098-T Issue

In the 1098-T screen, click on the link "What if this is not what I paid the school" underneath box 1. Please see 2021 Publication 970 - Internal Revenue Service, particularly page 12. Look at last year's 1098-T along with your 8863 from last year and your bursar account, see if you might need to do an amended return or if last year was fine and this year is truly scholarship income. The ability to maneuver those 3 months of income may be of help to you. Unfortunately, it is common to see a graduate get stuck with a scholarship income depending on billing and receipt of scholarships versus when paid. The page 12 ruling is meant to help with that but each situation is unique.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies