Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098-T and 1099-Q - 529 questions

Greetings,

Please help with 529expenses.

Filing status (parents): Filing jointly.

Child fulltime college Tuition & boarding: Part paid from 529 and rest from out of pocket,

1098-T and 1099-Q both issued under child name.

1099-Q gross distribution is less than 1098-T Box1. Box 5 1098-T has scholership amount.

1. As 1099-Q on child name, although child is dependent, do I need to enter this information on my tax form? if so, under what section in Federal form?

2. For my state Tax form (CT) can I enter 1099-Q Gross distribution as 'Education Trust Fund Distributions"? 

------------------

3. If it is not required to enter on my tax form (1&2)

Do my child need to file tax return and enter this information (Note: Also made about $1500 as summer intern (2023) but not required to file taxes).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Neither the 1099-Q or the 1098-T are required to be entered into your tax return.

If your 1099-Q disbursement was entirely used for Education Expenses, you don't need to enter it; just save it for your records.

If Box 1 (Tuition)  on the 1098-T is larger than Box 5 (Scholarships), you may qualify for an Education Credit, so should enter this in your return.

It's usually not beneficial for the student to report any education stuff in their return, as they won't qualify for the full Education Credit.  Plus they may not be required to file a return anyway. 

In Connecticut, an Education Trust Fund Distribution refers to CHET.  CHET is a state-sponsored, tax-advantaged 529 college savings plan that's helping families and individuals plan for the cost of higher education, so this is particular 529 plan that may not apply to you.

Here's more info on Form 1099-Q and instructions on How to Enter a 1098-T

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q1. As 1099-Q on child name, although child is dependent, do I need to enter this information on my tax form?

A 1. No. The student is the "recipient" of the distribution. See below.

Q2. For my state Tax form (CT) can I enter 1099-Q Gross distribution as 'Education Trust Fund Distributions"? 

A 2. No. None of it is taxable

Q 3. If it is not required to enter on my tax form, does my child need to file tax return and enter this information.

A 3. No. None of it is taxable. 

You can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. You also cannot count expenses that were paid by tax free scholarships. You cannot double dip! 

References:

1. On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 
  2. IRS Pub 970 states: “Generally, distributions are tax free if they aren't more than the beneficiary's AQEE for the year. Don't report tax-free distributions (including qualifying rollovers) on your tax return”.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The American Opportunity Credit (AOC or AOTC) is 100% of the first $2000 of tuition and 25% of the next $2000 ($2500 maximum credit). The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit regardless of whose money was used to pay the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board which is only qualified for the 1099-Q)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (on the recipient’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

There is  $1120 of taxable income (on the recipient’s return)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. A student, with no other income, can have up to $13,850 of taxable scholarship (in 2023) and still pay no income tax. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Neither the 1099-Q or the 1098-T are required to be entered into your tax return.

If your 1099-Q disbursement was entirely used for Education Expenses, you don't need to enter it; just save it for your records.

If Box 1 (Tuition)  on the 1098-T is larger than Box 5 (Scholarships), you may qualify for an Education Credit, so should enter this in your return.

It's usually not beneficial for the student to report any education stuff in their return, as they won't qualify for the full Education Credit.  Plus they may not be required to file a return anyway. 

In Connecticut, an Education Trust Fund Distribution refers to CHET.  CHET is a state-sponsored, tax-advantaged 529 college savings plan that's helping families and individuals plan for the cost of higher education, so this is particular 529 plan that may not apply to you.

Here's more info on Form 1099-Q and instructions on How to Enter a 1098-T

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q1. As 1099-Q on child name, although child is dependent, do I need to enter this information on my tax form?

A 1. No. The student is the "recipient" of the distribution. See below.

Q2. For my state Tax form (CT) can I enter 1099-Q Gross distribution as 'Education Trust Fund Distributions"? 

A 2. No. None of it is taxable

Q 3. If it is not required to enter on my tax form, does my child need to file tax return and enter this information.

A 3. No. None of it is taxable. 

You can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. You also cannot count expenses that were paid by tax free scholarships. You cannot double dip! 

References:

1. On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 
  2. IRS Pub 970 states: “Generally, distributions are tax free if they aren't more than the beneficiary's AQEE for the year. Don't report tax-free distributions (including qualifying rollovers) on your tax return”.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The American Opportunity Credit (AOC or AOTC) is 100% of the first $2000 of tuition and 25% of the next $2000 ($2500 maximum credit). The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit regardless of whose money was used to pay the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board which is only qualified for the 1099-Q)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (on the recipient’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

There is  $1120 of taxable income (on the recipient’s return)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. A student, with no other income, can have up to $13,850 of taxable scholarship (in 2023) and still pay no income tax. 

Thank you both for your inputs. 

"But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records.": I do not see any numbers in the 1099-Q sheet generated for my child worksheet.  So went back to Federal> Deductions & Credits> Education:  Did you have any higher education expenses in 2023 : If i say 'No' the section closes. 

For 'yes' Take me to Next section asking for 1099-Q.  I select my child as recipient and enter 1099-Q details:

TT saying,' the student beneficiary must report $2000 taxable income'. This is Box2 of 1099-Q. 

Saving forms result in 1099-Q calculations sheets for informational purpose (1098-T and 1099-Q details).

Child's Tuition+boarding> over 14k and distribution amount is $.7.5K (including earning+ basis)

1. For calculations purpose, do I need to enter 1099-Q in TT , although 'All official forms required for filing.. does not show 1099-Q

2. Do the student beneficiary needs to file taxes for $2000 earning on 1099-Q. All the distribution used for Tuition+ boarding purpose only.

Thank you!

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q1.  For calculations purpose, do I need to enter 1099-Q in TT , although 'All official forms required for filing.. does not show 1099-Q.

A1. Yes, if you want the worksheet. But, these kind of errors are why we recommend that you just not enter it, if you know none of it is taxable.

Q2. Do the student beneficiary needs to file taxes for $2000 earning on 1099-Q. All the distribution used for Tuition+ boarding purpose only.

A2. No, if you know it's not taxable.  But, these kind of errors are why we recommend that you just not enter it, if you know none of it is taxable.

That said, we don't know all your numbers or your allocation of expenses or what you are trying to accomplish (tuition credit?).

Provide the following info for more specific help:

• Are you the student or parent.
  • Is the  student  the parent's dependent.
  • Box 1 of the 1098-T
  • box 5 of the 1098-T
  • Any other scholarships not shown in box 5
  • Does box 5 include any of the 529/ESA plan payments (it should not)
  • Is any of the Scholarship restricted; i.e. it must be used for tuition
  • Box 1 of the 1099-Q
  • Box 2 of the 1099-Q
  • Who’s name and SS# are on the 1099-Q, parent or student (who’s the “recipient”)?
  • Room & board paid. If student lives off campus, what is school's R&B on campus charge. If he lives at home, the school’s R&B “allowance for cost of attendance” for student living with parents.
  • Other qualified expenses not included in box 1 of the 1098-T, e.g. books & computers
  • How much taxable income does the student have, from what sources
  • Are you trying to claim the tuition credit (are you eligible)?
  • Is the student an undergrad or grad student?
  • Is the student a degree candidate attending school half time or more?

Thank you!

'I'm not trying to get tuition credits but goal is to make sure to file correctly not missing any form that may cause inconvenience to the student later. So my understanding is to Say 'No' to any educational expenses in 2023. I keep 1098-T& 1099-Q for records as advised. 

To add more color: Undergrad Tuition+ Room and board (on-campus/fulltime, not adding other fee like books): $15000.00. Both 1098-T and 1099-Q on student/beneficiary name. I used $7500.00 from 529 (earnings: 2320+basic:5180 ish), Even with $3500 scholarship (merit SS from college+ outside) that applied to overall costs directly- I ended up paying out of pocket $ (qualified educational expense). I'll go without adding 1099-Q.  My child made $1500 from two internships and per check from IRS website, no need to file taxes.

I'll also ask college to provide breakdown on 1098-T number ($9690)- as that was not provided.

Please let me know if I miss anything or you still need numbers.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Don't bother the school asking for a breakdown of the 1098-T. They are overwhelmed with questions, this time of year.   Box 1 is tuition and fees, box 5 is scholarships. There's nothing you need. The breakdown is in the billing statements. The 1098-T and the billing statements is all you need to satisfy an IRS inquiry. I know that from personal experience; I got an IRS CP-2000 my youngest's last year in college. 

Q.  Goal is to make sure to file correctly not missing any form that may cause inconvenience to the student later.

A. When the 529 distribution is fully covered, no form is sent to the IRS. If TT does it correctly, you get the same result, whether you enter anything or not.

It you want to get the TurboTax (TT) worksheets, enter the 1099-Q first. Later, at the Educational expenses section, you do enter the 1098-T. You also answer yes to the book expenses question, so that TT will present you with the screen to enter room& board expenses, as well as books.  Here's the kicker: TT will/may assume the parent is claiming the tuition credit and allocate some of the tuition to the credit.  It should take you to a screen  titled “Amount Used to Calculate Education Credit”, verify the amount you want to use or change it (to $0, in your case). 

If that doesn't work, here's a work around: delete the 1098-T. At the  screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click delete next to the student's name. Go back to the 1099-Q section. When asked who the student is answer: someone else not listed here (lying to TurboTax to get it to do what you want does not constitute lying to the IRS).  Enter the student's name when asked.  A few screens later, you'll get one simple screen to enter expenses. Press Done at the 1099-Q summary screen, to get there. Also enter the amount of the scholarship in the box "Tax-free assistance".  

If that doesn't work, accept the fact that TT isn't gonna give you an accurate work sheet and delete the 1099-Q. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies