Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098 interest refund, which is listed in Box 4 of the 1098. However, when entering the 1098, there is no box 4 to enter the amount into. Where do I enter this refund?

Received 1098 interest refund, which is listed in Box 4 of the 1098. However, when entering the 1098, there is no box 4 to enter the amount into. Where do I enter this refund?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

1098 interest refund, which is listed in Box 4 of the 1098. However, when entering the 1098, there is no box 4 to enter the amount into. Where do I enter this refund?

The tag below your question says that you are using TurboTax Free Edition. But you cannot enter a Form 1098 in Free Edition. Mortgage interest is an itemized deduction. It requires Schedule A, which is not included in Free Edition. You have to upgrade to Deluxe in order to enter Form 1098 or any other itemized deductions.

At the very bottom of the screen where you enter your 1098, click the link that says "What if I have something in Box 4 of my 1098?" It will give you instructions for what to do. You might have to scroll down to see the link.

Thank you for the reply. I am in deluxe, however still do not see an option for box (even if I scroll all the way down). Any other advice? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

You do not enter the box 4 amount in TurboTax.   You have to handle it manually.  On the screen titled "Let's get the details from your form 1098", click on the link "What if I have something in box 4 of my 1098?"

"What if my 1098 has value in Box 4 (Refund of Overpaid Interest)?

Refund of Overpaid Interest in same Calendar Year

If overpaid interest was reimbursed in the same calendar year as paid it should be netted in Box 1 (Mortgage interest received). No action is required. Input your 1098 with the amount in Box 1.

For example, if you paid $5,000 in interest and were reimbursed $500 of that amount in the current year. Box 1 should reflect $4,500 as interest paid and nothing should be in Box 4.

Refund of Overpaid Interest in a different year

If you received a reimbursement of interest this year and in prior year you deduct the interest for a tax benefit you would reconcile the reimbursement.

Example: You overpaid $700 of interest last year and included the amount of your deductible interest on Schedule A. The next year you received the $700 back. The Bank sends you a 1098 that reflects $700 in Box 4 and nothing in Box 1. Since you deducted your income in a prior year and received a refund in a different year the $700 is treated as income in the year received. The income is reported under Miscellaneous Income:Reimbursed deductions from a prior year.

If you did not itemize or did not include the interest on your tax return the amount on 1098 Box 4 does not need to be included in your current tax return."

Thank you very much!!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies