Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I enter my i401k employee contribution for my S-Corp?

I am the 100% owner of an S-Corp. I have entered my W2 and K-1. I made an EMPLOYEE contribution of 18k (the max) which I understand is deductible. 

1. I think the correct place to enter my contribution is Wages & Income > Business Items >Business Deductions and Credits > Self-employed retirement plans. Is this correct?

2. When I click the Update button for Self-employed retirement plans, I see the message, "Self-Employed Retirement Plans are only for self-employed individuals (i.e., those filing Schedules C, F, or K-1)" with no options to enter anything. Well, I AM filing a K-1 and I've already entered it, so why can't I enter my employee contribution? Or, if I am supposed to enter it somewhere else, where is that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Except with respect to a self-employed health insurance deduction, you are not self-employed.  The deduction for the 401(k) contributions made by your S corp to your 401(k) account is reportable on your S corp's tax return, not your personal tax return.  The only thing regarding your 401(k) that is entered into TurboTax for your personal tax return is to enter into box 12 of TurboTax's W-2 form any entries in box 12 of the W-2 issued to you by the S corp.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Except with respect to a self-employed health insurance deduction, you are not self-employed.  The deduction for the 401(k) contributions made by your S corp to your 401(k) account is reportable on your S corp's tax return, not your personal tax return.  The only thing regarding your 401(k) that is entered into TurboTax for your personal tax return is to enter into box 12 of TurboTax's W-2 form any entries in box 12 of the W-2 issued to you by the S corp.

I see now. The 18K was supposed to be in Box 12, code D. So, I modified my W2 and put the 18K in box 12 with code D and subtracted the same amount from Box 1 (but NOT boxes 3 or 5). It looks like TT is happy and I got my deduction. Thanks.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies