Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zaclanger

Which option for clergy self-employment tax?

I'm a pastor serving a local church, and I have a salary and housing allowance. My wife and I did the calculations at the start of last year to determine how much my social-security, medicare, and federal income taxes would be and voluntarily withheld them on her W4. My question is, which option should I choose on the question, "How would you like us to calculate your clergy self-employment tax?"

1. Pay self-employment tax on wages only

2. Social Security and Medicare taxes have been withheld

3. Pay self-employment tax on housing allowance only

4. Pay self-employment tax on wages and housing allowance

5. This income is exempt from self-employment tax

I would guess that option two is correct, since we have already done the voluntary withholding, but I'm not sure. I appreciate the help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Which option for clergy self-employment tax?

Withholding on her W-4 won't affect how your earnings are taxed.   How did you get paid for your services, W-2, 1099, or both?   If you received a W-2, is there anything withheld in Boxes 4 and 6?  And finally, was your housing allowance included in Box 1?  

Clergy Taxation Discussion  -  Here is a discussion that should help! 

Members of the clergy (ministers, members of a religious order, and Christian Science practitioners and readers) and religious workers (church employees) must pay self-employment tax (SE tax).   The following income is included in the SE tax calculation on Schedule SE:

• Salaries and fees for your ministerial services
  • Money for marriages, baptisms, funerals, masses, etc.
  • The value of meals and lodging provided to you, your spouse, and your dependents
  • The fair rental value of a parsonage (including the cost of furnished utilities) or the rental allowance (including an amount for utilities)
  • Any amount a church pays toward your income tax or SE tax, other than withholding the amount from your salary

Clergy housing is only included as income when determining your self-employment taxes, not when calculating your federal income tax.

You aren’t required to pay SE tax when any of the following applies:

• You’re a member of a religious order that has taken a vow of poverty.
  • You have requested, and the IRS has approved, an exemption from self-employment tax.
  • You are subject only to the social security laws of a foreign country under the provisions of a social security agreement between the United States and that country.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies