Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do you enter in the insurance proceeds for a business asset that was lost/destroyed? Turbo Tax never comes back to get the information.

I had a business asset being depreciated. It was destroyed two years into depreciation. I received insurance proceeds for the loss. I "Yes" indicated that it was lost or destroyed. 

Turbo Tax says "If you disposed of this property by any of the above means, enter your sales information later in the interview under "Business Income/Sale of Business Property."

There is NO "Business Income / Sale of Business Property" topic or section. I have gone through it many times. There is just 1099-NEC, 1099 and other income. Nothing about sale of business property. 
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Where do you enter in the insurance proceeds for a business asset that was lost/destroyed? Turbo Tax never comes back to get the information.

If your business property was destroyed due to a casualty, you can report the loss in the Casualty Loss section of TurboTax.

A casualty loss can result from the damage, destruction, or loss of your property from any sudden, unexpected, or unusual event such as a flood, hurricane, tornado, fire, earthquake, or volcanic eruption. A casualty doesn't include normal wear and tear or progressive deterioration.

The requirements for each type of loss vary. For more information, see Publication 547 or refer to the Instructions for Form 4684.

To report the loss of business property due to a casualty in TurboTax Online:

1. Go to Deductions & Credits
  2. Select Disasters, theft, and other property loss or damage
  3. Click to add a casualty or theft
  4. Fill in the Description of the event (e.g., "fire", "theft")
  5. Fill in the date
  6. Select Income-Producing Property as the Property Type
  7. Choose "no" when asked if it was used in a passive activity (assuming it's used in your Schedule C business)
  8. Enter the description of the property, date acquired, cost basis (for business property, your adjusted basis after depreciation), and any insurance reimbursement
  9. Enter fair market value before and after the casualty (if lost due to theft, value after is 0)
  10. Select "I used this property in my business"
  11. Select Done

When you preview your return, look for the loss to appear on Form 4797.

See here for more information from the IRS on this topic. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If your business property was destroyed due to a casualty, you can report the loss in the Casualty Loss section of TurboTax.

A casualty loss can result from the damage, destruction, or loss of your property from any sudden, unexpected, or unusual event such as a flood, hurricane, tornado, fire, earthquake, or volcanic eruption. A casualty doesn't include normal wear and tear or progressive deterioration.

The requirements for each type of loss vary. For more information, see Publication 547 or refer to the Instructions for Form 4684.

To report the loss of business property due to a casualty in TurboTax Online:

1. Go to Deductions & Credits
  2. Select Disasters, theft, and other property loss or damage
  3. Click to add a casualty or theft
  4. Fill in the Description of the event (e.g., "fire", "theft")
  5. Fill in the date
  6. Select Income-Producing Property as the Property Type
  7. Choose "no" when asked if it was used in a passive activity (assuming it's used in your Schedule C business)
  8. Enter the description of the property, date acquired, cost basis (for business property, your adjusted basis after depreciation), and any insurance reimbursement
  9. Enter fair market value before and after the casualty (if lost due to theft, value after is 0)
  10. Select "I used this property in my business"
  11. Select Done

When you preview your return, look for the loss to appear on Form 4797.

See here for more information from the IRS on this topic. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the quick reply. I will check it out.

This worked however it was more complicated. Turbo Tax also created asset sale form in addition to the loss. This double counted the loss. There is no easy access to the sale form in TurboTax and no way to delete a sale via main Turbo Tax screens. It had to be manually deleted which is a whole another endeavor in of itself.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies