Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I show item sales for my business

I have business and Sold items, I cannot find how to show them. Under inventory/cost of goods I tried to show change of my inventory but still says $0 sales. and showing business loss, not actual sales and new inventory numbers. Not sure what section to show actual sales numbers

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

COGS works in a strange way. But once you understand it, then it makes sense.
What "you" pay for inventory is not deductible until the tax year you sell that inventory. Doesn't matter if you purchased that inventory in a prior tax year.
For the very first year dealing with inventory, the Beginning of Year (BOY) Inventory balance must be zero. This is because your BOY Inventory balance must be equal to your previous year's EOY (End of Year) Inventory balance. So if 2018 was the first year you carried inventory, then your BOY Inventory balance has to be zero, no matter what.
Your EOY Inventory balance is the cost (what "you" paid) of the inventory still in your physical possession on Dec 31 of the tax year.
Then your COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) is what "you" paid for the inventory you actually sold during the tax year. Examples:
BOY Inventory (On Jan 1 of the tax year) = $0
COGS = $1000
EOY Inventory (On Dec 31 of the tax year) = 0%
The above indicates I started the tax year with no inventory. During that same year I purchased $1000 of inventory, and also sold it in that same tax year. At the end of the year I had $0 of inventory remaining.
Example 2:
BOY Inventory = $1000
COGS = $2000
EOY Inventory $5000
The above indicates that I had $1000 of inventory on Jan 1 of the tax year. It shows that I purchased an additional $6000 in inventory during the tax year bringing the total inventory for the tax year to $7000. I sold $2000 worth of that inventory during the tax year, leaving me with an EOY Inventory of $5000.

Did you enter the income you made yet ?   The inventory section just shows the cost of the product sold not the actual sales. Not sure how you passed by the income section ... back up a bit ...

Carl
Level 15

One key thing too, is that in the business profile section you must select the option for "my business carries inventory". If that's not selected, then you're never asked about inventory by the program.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies