Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I report profits from depreciated equip sold on ebay? One time sale. Got a 1099K as a MA resident, 4.5k gross sales. Retired, no longer in business.

I have not seen an answer yet that deals with selling depreciated equipment from a old business. PayPal now required to send 1099K's for all sales to MA residents. I am OK with paying taxes on a gain since the equipment was depreciated but I am not running a business on eBay. I am clearing out the garage of no longer needed equipment . One time sales, just like a garage sale but in this case I am making money. Do not want to use Schedule C to pay self employment tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Where do I report profits from depreciated equip sold on ebay? One time sale. Got a 1099K as a MA resident, 4.5k gross sales. Retired, no longer in business.

You will need the total depreciation that was used for each of your business assets that were sold. If they were fully depreciated then your cost basis for sale is zero. This is not reported on Schedule C and it is not subject to self employment tax.

Any depreciation used as an expense on his returns will have to be recaptured at the max 25% (lower if you are in a lower tax bracket).

1. Sign into your TurboTax account (online or desktop)

2. Use the search box in the upper right

3. Search for sale of business property

4. Jump to sale of business property

5. Follow the screen prompts to enter your sale  (see image attached)

6. Answer - Yes, it was sold at a gain and you took depreciation on this property

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

You will need the total depreciation that was used for each of your business assets that were sold. If they were fully depreciated then your cost basis for sale is zero. This is not reported on Schedule C and it is not subject to self employment tax.

Any depreciation used as an expense on his returns will have to be recaptured at the max 25% (lower if you are in a lower tax bracket).

1. Sign into your TurboTax account (online or desktop)

2. Use the search box in the upper right

3. Search for sale of business property

4. Jump to sale of business property

5. Follow the screen prompts to enter your sale  (see image attached)

6. Answer - Yes, it was sold at a gain and you took depreciation on this property

Do I have to list all 26 items I sold, original cost, etc.? Some older than 20 yrs sold at pennies on the dollar.
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@dpbill2000 You can combine some of them, be sure to keep all your records of substantiation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies