Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter bond premium amortization (a deduction) in Turbo Tax Business Form 1120S?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KennethB

Where do I enter bond premium amortization (a deduction) in Turbo Tax Business Form 1120S?

If you are a dealer in taxable bonds (or anyone who holds them mainly for sale to customers in the ordinary course of a trade or business or who would properly include bonds in inventory at the close of the tax year) cannot claim a deduction for amortizable bond premium.

For more information on bond premium amortization, please refer to page 34 of IRS Publication 550 - "Investment Income and Expenses (Including Capital Gains and Losses) at the following link:  

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf

View solution in original post

9 Replies
KennethB

Is the entity a dealer in bonds?  Are the bonds taxable bonds or tax-exempt bonds?

This answer does not help me.  I own individual municipal bonds that are tax exempt.  I get to amortize the premium (the amount I paid over par) because the IRS does not allow me to take a loss at expiration.  Therefore, the IRS allows me to amortize the bond premium a little at a time to work the value of the purchase price back to par.
KennethB

The premium must be amortized on tax-exempt bonds using the constant yield method. This is necessary to reduce the bondholder’s tax basis in the tax-free bond to determine if there is a capital gain upon disposition.

As long as the bond is held to maturity, there will be no capital gain or loss associated with the bond. If the bond is sold before maturity, you may have capital gain or loss based is the portion of the premium which has not yet been amortized.
No tax deduction is allowed for premium amortization since the interest is not taxable, but if the bonds are taxable bonds, the taxable income can be reduced by the amount of premium amortization.

Per IRS Publication 550, page 34:

"If the bond yields tax-exempt interest, you must amortize the premium. This amortized amount is not deductible in determining taxable income. However, each year you must reduce your basis in the bond (and tax-exempt interest otherwise reportable on Form 1040, line 8b) by the amortization for the year. For a tax-exempt covered security acquired at a premium, box 13 shows the amount of bond premium amortization allocable to the interest paid during the tax year. If a net amount of interest appears in box 8 or 9, whichever is applicable, box 13 will be blank. Bond premium. Bond premium is the amount by which your basis in the bond right after you get it is more than the total of all amounts payable on the bond after you get it (other than payments of qualified stated interest). For example, a bond with a maturity value of $1,000 generally would have a $50 premium if you buy it for $1,050."

For further information, please see IRS Publication 550 "Investment Income and Expenses (Including Capital Gains and Losses) at the following link:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf</a>

Great.  Thank you.  My corporation bond is is tax exempt.  Therefore, no tax deduction for the premium.  In my personal account, I have lots of taxable municipal bonds bought above par.  Using Turbo Tax premium, where do I put the deduction for that amortization.  Schwab calculates it for me.  $40,000 of taxable interest, $5,000 of premium amortization.  Where does the $5,000 go?
KennethB

Subtract the bond premium amortization from your interest income from these bonds. Report the bonds interest on Schedule B (Form 1040A or 1040), line 1. Under your last entry on line 1, put a subtotal of all interest listed on line 1. Below this subtotal, print "ABP Adjustment," and the total interest you received.

Thank you, Kenneth.  You have been very helpful.
KennethB

You're welcome!
KennethB

If you are a dealer in taxable bonds (or anyone who holds them mainly for sale to customers in the ordinary course of a trade or business or who would properly include bonds in inventory at the close of the tax year) cannot claim a deduction for amortizable bond premium.

For more information on bond premium amortization, please refer to page 34 of IRS Publication 550 - "Investment Income and Expenses (Including Capital Gains and Losses) at the following link:  

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf

Using TT Business, assuming you are not a dealer, there will be bond premium in either box 11 or Box 12 of your 1099-INT.  When entering interest from your 1009-INT, there will be box to check if there is an amount in Box 11, check yes for either box 11 or box 12, and click Continue.  That will bring you to the TT form to enter the amounts in either Box 11 or Box 12.  After completion, you will see the Premium offset the interest in the interest summary amount

sportsguytrader

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies