Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is schedule c form 1040? How do I fill this form out and find the relevant information it is asking for?

I have to file two form 1099-necs this year (on top of a W2), I only have experience filling with a W2 previously. 

Everything seemed straight forward, it retrieved my w2, and i entered my 1099s, but at the end of the federal section where it asked me to review some information and took me to "Schedule C (Form 1040) and asked for me to check a bunch of entries.

I am completely lost at this point and don't understand most of the questions its asking in the entries. It almost seems like the questions are framed for someone who runs a business. But I don't, I just got paid for my labor and got a 1099.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

What is schedule c form 1040? How do I fill this form out and find the relevant information it is asking for?

You are considered self-employed for that income you received on the 1099s.   So, TurboTax created a Schedule C.   You can use your name for the business, your home address, and you don't need an EIN.  You can answer NO to the employee or contractor payments you made.   If both 1099s are for the same kind of work/labor, they go on the same Schedule C - - don't create a Schedule C for each 1099.   You could do work for 10 different people and get 10 different 1099s, they go on the same Schedule C if they are all for the same type of work.   

You are the business owner for tax purposes.   You can deduct expenses on Schedule C to lower your taxes or increase your refund.   I left some helpful information linked below.

How does being self-employed affects my taxes?

Where do I enter my expenses for my business?  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies