Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member

What does sales price and sales expenses refer to on Schedule C in context of selling a vehicle previously used for business and personal reasons?

Last year, my husband and I sold a vehicle to CarMax and were offered 24,000. With that, we paid off the loan it was financed through and were left with a difference of ~2,000 dollars. I'm currently working on the Schedule C portion - what would the sales price and sales expense be in this case? I'm having a difficult time answering this section.  Just to clarify, we had a financed car, and then sold it to CarMax (did not trade in) and we paid off the loan and kept a difference of 2000. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

What does sales price and sales expenses refer to on Schedule C in context of selling a vehicle previously used for business and personal reasons?

The sale price would be what you sold the vehicle for, $24,000 in this case, times the business use percentage. So, if you used it 80% for business, the sales price you enter would be $19,200 ($24,000 x .80).  Sales expenses would be any cost that were deducted from the sales price. The loan payments would have no affect on this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies